Sunday, April 22, 2012

Julie's Kitchen: Chalkboard Wall

We've got a lot of blank white walls in our kitchen that I'm still figuring out what to do with.  On top of that, our cabinets are pale maple, circa 1990.  I wanted to bring some darker colors into the kitchen to add dimension and bring the entire space a little bit closer to the 21st century.  When I stumbled across this picture from Anthropologie, I knew I'd found my solution.


I couldn't decide where to paint the chalkboard wall in the kitchen-- I considered doing an entire wall directly across from the window, but thought it might make the kitchen too dark.  I thought about doing the hallway leading into the kitchen, but again, was worried about turning the hallway into a cave.  I finally decided to do the small wall that hides the side of the refrigerator (it's the first thing you see when walking into our kitchen).  Previously, this wall was home to an iron spoon from Pottery Barn.


After picking up painting supplies from the local hardware store and a frame from Target, Sarah and I got to work. It came together really quickly-- the most time consuming part was taping off the walls.  We had to be pretty meticulous with taping, because I didn't exactly ask my landlord for permission before slapping black paint on my wall.  It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?



I thought that a plain black wall might be a little boring, so decided to frame this photo of me with Granny, our dad's mom, in her kitchen.  She was an amazing cook and I love having a little reminder of her every time I'm in the kitchen.


I love the wall--I think it makes the kitchen more current/interesting and serves as a great place for inappropriate drawings love notes. Currently, it's featuring part of a quote from our wedding programs and a countdown until the arrival of Sarah's baby! Please excuse the iPhone pictures...we need a new camera!


1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! Love the idea and especially love the story around it! This was an inspiring blog to read! Keep up the great work!

    Cindy (Dorothy's friend)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs